Looking for some great educational apps for your child’s Kindle Fire Tablet (or other Android device)? Here are a few of the ones that my kids enjoy now or in the not-too-distant past. All of these are available in the Amazon App Store for Android / Kindle App Store:
- Inventioneers – Filimundus-AB makes some great games that teach kids how to invent and think of creative solutions. Great physics engine. Great fun.
- Pettson’s Inventions 1 / Pettson’s Inventions 2 /Pettson’s Inventions Deluxe – Another great game from Filimundus-AB. This game requires you to solve puzzles by placing moving parts in the right places. The deluxe version allows you to compete against a clock or other people online.
- 5th Grade Learning Games – A great set of games for learning on the fifth grade level (other grades are available too!)
- ScratchJr.- Great introduction to programming for younger kids. Meant for kids ages 5 -7 but may be helpful for older kids too.
- Ancient Greece for Kids – Learning app that teaches kids about Ancient Greece.
- Duolingo – A free, fun and effective way to learn one of several languages Great for anyone of any age.
- Manic Math – Tetris, but with math. You have to be quick solving addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division problems.
- Stack the States – Learn about the geography of the USA including the location of the state, state capitals and the shape of each state.
- Stack the Countries – Makes learning about world geography fun!
- Word Shaker – Find as many words as possible in the jumble of letters before time is up!
- Box Island – This is a great “3D” app to help teach kids to code. 99 Cents gets you 10 levels. You may have trouble if you’re using Amazon Free Time when you want to purchase the other levels.
- Flight Simulators – There are many choices for flight simulators. The skills learned go beyond learning to fly.
- Hill Climb Race – This is a little bit more “fluffy” but there is educational value in the way that cars work and the physics engine that’s in use in this Android app definitely is something kids can learn from.
For younger kids, don’t forget these favorites:
- StarFall – This app makes learning to read fun. Was very helpful with my kids.
- Kid Weather – A fun introduction to meteorology.
- Rube Works: The Official Rube Goldberg Invention Game – A great game, with some very challenging puzzles. Fun and interesting.
- Bacterium – Blurs the line between fun and learning with a bacteria simulator. You take care of a population of bacteria and get them to do your bidding.
- Crazy Machines – Golden Gears HD – Another Rube Goldberg-style game with a very good physics engine.
- SimplePlanes – This is a wonderful game where you have to build airplanes and see how they fly. Cool and very entertaining.
- SimpleRockets – Well if SimplePlanes wasn’t enough for you, they also have this gem. Build and launch rockets.
- Gravity Sim 3D – This isn’t for everyone, but a very interesting space simulator.
eroncohen.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.